Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Pippy Longstocking, The Afghan

This afghan was designed some time back and has been waiting in que (there are still many).  As you can see in this picture I was making piles of yarn by color.  When I do an all day sort/organize/design it truly takes all day.  I lug up all the bags from the basement, separate and go at it.

If you've been a frequent visitor to my blog, Bridge and Beyond, you know I name all the afghans I knit/crochet/or assemble from pieces parts.  I named this one Pippy Longstocking.  I was sorta at the end of the designing day and had things that really didn't look like they went together, and came up with the name, because it's funky, weird, wild and miss-matched, just like she was.



In the above picture you'll note I was trying to determine what color to use to edge and join.  I choose based on how much of something I have, as well as what it looks like to me.... in my mind...trying to see it completed.


I selected the green and have almost gotten each piece edged.  The pieces aren't the same size, which I knew going into it, they often aren't...I did say pieces parts.  The strips on the top are smaller than those on the bottom, so will need extra edging, but often I can't tell how much until I edge the rest for comparison.  They tend to stretch a bit as I edge and layout more smoothly.  Looking at it now, I think edging the two rust colored strips will make the ghan too long as I originally designed, so am thinking about enough edging on them to fit them to the sides...almost like they appear in the picture.  Obviously they aren't long enough to fit the whole side so there would be much more green.  Or perhaps I will add more to the sides of what's there and not use the 2 strips?  Love any input.  I will stare at it awhile as I continue to join the pieces and perhaps that will help me make a decision.

These strips were intended to be scarves, but they really are too far off the size we need, so I've designed a good number of afghans with them.

Hope you're all busy working on something.


**The counts on our progress bars are current. All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated. The Power of One is awesome, and when we work together The Power of One becomes The Power of Many.

6 comments:

  1. Your sense of color is always right on. I'm sure it will be wonderful when it's completed. You stay busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandie for the visit and comment, always appreciated. Busy can be good, lol

      Delete
  2. Are either of the two on the sides longer than any of the 3 short ones? If so, I'd swap them out and not include the shortest two of the pile. Then edge as needed. Otherwise I'd think it would be overpowered by the extra green needed to include the side pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and forgot to say that I LOVE the name! I name mine too, but usually something about the intended recipient like "Owen's Parisian Dreams" or "Miranda's Summer Surprise". :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karla for your visit and thoughtful response. Multiple pairs of eyes and brain power are helpful. No on the two on the sides being sized better to switch out. As I've continued to join and see the green am sorta thinking you may be right about the green over power the fun mix of colors and think those two on the sides will get tossed back into the mish mosh pile for another design day or something.

      Delete
    3. Oh and I love that you name your's too! I find it kinda fun to give them personalities and it's helpful to refer to one by name if I have to do a search or something here for it on the blog.

      Delete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?