Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

When Squares Grow Up, what do they Become?

Christmas SquaresThese 17 crocheted Christmas colored squares donated by Cheryl S from Michigan will grow up into a Christmas Afghan. How perfect that will be for one of our families leaving temporary housing at The Homeless Families Foundation to make their way into permanent housing. What a true "Welcome Home" gift that will be. I may use just these squares, I may see what in my stash wants to join in.
And these 2 groups of squares also crocheted and donated by Cheryl S...the group closest to you, 8 colors and 20 squares most likely will be a ladies ghan for our Welcome Home Project. Possibly having other squares join them, possibly on their own. Very much still thinking stages there; but the 5 bright colors I grouped together in the upper right corner are 24 squares that started growing up almost immediately after I opened the box. Wham, this has to be a ghan for a little girl...I could see it immediately, it called out to me and has in fact already been named. Snow Cone. The bright green is lime, the yellow lemon, the pink would be cherry, the purple of course is grape, and the orange...........orange.
See...told you it's growing up fast. I quickly spread the squares and came up the traditional diagonal afghan, searched my stash for a color I liked with it and started edging and joining with a blue. Not really navy, sorta a dark aqua-ish blue. Edging adds about 5 inches to the length, as you can see, and about an inch in width to each strip. Once it's all joined, I should have enough to do a nice wide border. Snow Cone will make some little girl feel loved. What a wonderful "Welcome Home" gift this will be.

Thank you Cheryl for your support and your thoughtful donation, keep up the good work.

**edited, as you know my post are always written ahead, placed in que in the schedule...so, as I type this edit I can tell you, the more I worked on this little girls ghan, the more I decided it needed a different name...nix snow cone (though I may use that again on another ghan), This ghan is now named "Rainbow Bright". **

2011 Donations:


Scarves 343
Hats 657
Mitts 140
Socks 124
Squares 454+61=515
Rain Ponchos 80
Cotton Washcloths 318
Sweaters/Poncho's 7
Slippers 86
Afghans 34 (2 sent to our friends at Pine Street)
Misc Items I've not counted misc items like all the personal care items, the neck warmers, head bands or yarn.

For those who like to plan ahead, I've added November to our working calendar it will be a focus on men through The Jack Otis Memorial Month. Hats, Scarves, Mittens, Slippers, for men. Naturally socks. Keep checking in for more details.

All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated, and all donations keep someone warm. We help, one stitch at a time. YOU truly DO make a difference. THANK YOU!

10 comments:

  1. mmm, voy a copiar esto, me gusta ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mafenda, using google to translate, believe this is what she said above mmm, i'M going to copy this, i like

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mafenda, tried to leave you a comment on your blog, but your comment area isn't there. Try changing your settings, it appears you have it set to not have any comments. Thanks for adding me to your blog log.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the squares and what a beautiful, bright afghan they are making. Sandy, the name Rainbow Bright is so appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They grow up to be rectangles? Great group of squares! Sure represents a LOT of work done and a good bit to join! Nice to know that everyone puts some love in as they work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Yvonne and psmflowerlady for your visits and your comments both are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors and how you can mange toput them together in a lovely group.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?