Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Friday, November 12, 2010

And the winner is!

We never seem to get enough mittens, so I thought we'd make this past month, October Mitten Month. Then our friend CrochetPrincess (Beth) suggested we have a mitten challenge, and Mitten Throw Down and so we did. She graciously wrote up a 2nd mitten pattern which you can find in the tabs across the top of the blog to kick us off. I told her I would supply the yarn, FREE YARN to the winner of the contest. The winner of the contest would be the person would knitted and or crocheted the largest number of mittens. Since I was going to be out of town we extended the deadline beyond the end of the month to November 8th, this past Monday. I thought perhaps people were madly still knitting and crocheting though that date and needed a couple of days to mail mittens and so declared though the deadline was Monday and the 8th....today would be the day the announcement was made.

I'm pleased to say we had 11 people participate by sending in mittens. Some you've seen here, some are still in que (generally a new post each and everyday highlighting, counting and documenting someone's pretty heartfelt work). So, you still have some to see...keep checking.

Thanks to all who participated: Sarah S and Sacha from The Hive, James from RAV, and blog friends--Linda, Bunny, Sandie and some new found helping hands who found us from searching on the net even though they don't have blogs Jean, Ruth, and Nelda, and Dorothy from Bev's Charity Challenge. I managed to get a pair in (had hoped for more, but have been madly working on ghans). To date we've collected 96 pairs of mittens, some knitted, some crocheted, some sized for men, some for women, and some for children! 66 pairs of mittens to warm 96 pairs of hands. WONDERFUL! Thank you Thank You.

The winner with 35 pairs of mittens is Jean. Jean you've not yet met, a new pair of helping hands for us. Welcome to the group Jean, Thank you for your lovely mittens. We're thrilled to have you in our ranks. Please email me your snail ady so I can put your yarn...your winnings in the mail to you.

I wrote this blog post early this am before work, and as I returned home this evening had another box of 30 mittens from Dorothy. So, have amended the numbers above. I am thrilled with how many mittens were donated. AND am going to declare 2 winners, a first and 2nd place. I'll be sending out yarn to both Jean and Dorothy.

Our current focus is Give a Square, though we continue to need and accept hats, scarves, mittens all year long.

Please remember all donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated, and all donations keep someone warm. We help, one stitch at a time. It truly DOES make a difference. THANK YOU!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats to Jean! 35 pairs of mittens - Awesome! Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful mittens for the Challenge! More warm hands for the winter! (Mine is late, I'm sorry. Taking care of my Mom who was in the hospital and has surgery coming up.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jean! What an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to Jean and Dorothy! You've both done an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I posted before I did not see that Dorothy had sent in 30 pair of mittens. Awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic job! Congrats to Dorothy and Jean and also to everyone who participated in keeping hands warm this winter. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right you are Bunny, I had posted before work, and had Dorothy's box on my porch when I arrived home from work, so added it to the post. No need to rub your eyes, lol

    Sandie, my sentiments match your to a tea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the congrats. I really had fun with this challenge and am now on to slippers.Don't know yet what I will make with my winning yarn when I get it.Will have to decide once I see it.Everyone has done a great job.Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you Jean on feeling good about the job people did. Also knowing you need to see the yarn, before you can decide what to do with it. I do that all the time myself. Sometimes, the yarn speaks to you. I meant to take a picture of it before I mailed it, though wanted to wait til you had it before posting so it would be a surprise; and mailed it off forgetting to get a picture, perhaps you could take one and email it to me so I could post it.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?