Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Helping Homeless with Rain Poncho's and Recycling

Today's letter for the A-Z challenge is R=Recycle, Rain Poncho'

Recycle does play a part when thinking about Homelessness.  While we here on Bridge and Beyond don't collect and donate used clothing such as coats, sweaters etc, it is something everyone can do locally to help.  Check with your local Homeless Shelters, Churches, and Firehouses to see what items of clothing they accept.  Coats are probably the largest item needed.  Used items aren't part of our Mission here on Bridge and Beyond.  Handmade items is a large part of our mission, with the exceptions being personal care items, store bought socks, AND
Rain Poncho's.  Rain Poncho's are an easy item to donate for our non knitters and crocheters, they are light weight making postage not a big issue, and they are very much needed for the folks living out in the elements.  They are also a good item for those at the shelters who may be waiting on buses and or walking to work.

All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated. The Power of One is awesome, and when we work together The Power of One becomes The Power of Many.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea with the rain ponchos; hadn't thought of that. I know one time we went down to feed the homeless and it was December. I remember going through my coats and thinking I don't need as many as I had and taking them with us; they were the first items to be picked up, which made perfect sense. Though it was San Diego, it still got cold in December.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exaxctly right Betty, and even in the warmer temps like San Diego as compared to Ohio, Michigan, Minn or Wisc etc, when you're not eating well, you're not healthy and you just plain get colder easie, which is why is not uncommon to see a homeless person in a heavy garment...if they're lucky enough to have one in the summer.

      Delete
  2. I donate all the time but I never thought to donate rain coats before. I wish I had. This is a great suggestion!

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear you donate regularly, that puts a smile on my face. Thank youf for doing that.

      Delete
  3. I donate to several organizations. I never thought of rain gear. I know it is needed. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a big heart Janis, thank you for all you do.

      Delete
  4. Cold and rainy here in MI today. Got a few nights coming up with temps to be 29. I would hate to be out in the cold and rain and homeless. The rain ponchos are great to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They also serve as a nice windbreaker when the wind is ferce....like it was today. I could hardly walk between our buildings at work without being thrown around....living out in that, or even waitig for daylight to pass to get into a shelter...can't imagine how difficult it was.

      Delete
  5. Is this the challenge you were telling me about? A to Z? What a great idea! If this IS what you were talking about I will post a link to my facebook page. So sorry I haven't been here for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coats, Rain Ponchos...I never thought of that being a donated item before. Now to get my husband to let go of his many, many coats!! I am going to try to send some Rain Ponchos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coats can be delivered to any of the shelters. Just checks the hours of operation before you physical go there Sherry.

      Delete
  7. Rain ponchos - of course! Something I could easily send down from Canada. It's on my list! There is a local Coats for Kids drive every year done in my city where I donate my coats that I have "grown" out of.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?