Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Crocheters Story


 Saw this cute comic the other day on Facebook and thought I'd share it with you all.  While this may be about knitting the same holds true us crocheters too.  I'd be a rich person if I was paid for every-time I said, just one more...how bout you all?

A while back I asked you all to email me your stories about how you learned, where you learned etc. to knit or crochet.  Here's another enjoyable story to read.  This is our friend Tristi's story.  Thank you Tristi for sharing.  Still happy to receive other stories to post. 
 
I learned to crochet when I was a child.  My mom taught me basics, how to chain and maybe single crochet, not that I knew the terms,  I never did much with it then.  When I was in college my roommate learned to crochet so I picked up the hook again, re-learned and started an afghan that never got finished.  
Fast forward a few years and I picked up my hook again, this time to make a baby blanket for my baby, I was maybe 3 months along.  I still have that blanket and I have to be honest I have no idea what stitch I used, it definitely wasn't a "basic" stitch" but it worked so...  once again I laid down my hook.  
Another few years passed and we were in our house and my aging neighbor knew that I, as well as my family, liked to craft (at the time it was plastic canvas).  She offered me 2 or 3 huge black garbage bags of yarn and a few boxes of magazines and books, as she couldn't crochet anymore.  I looked thru the bags picking the yarn I wanted to keep and what I would pass on to my mom and sisters.  I found a swatch of a beautiful stitch and I was determined to figure out what it was so I could make a blanket.
Looking thru the magazines I found a little booklet that taught the basics and a few "fancy" stitches.  I dubbed this my crochet bible.  For the first time I learned what I was doing, what single crochet and double crochets were.  I also learned how to read a pattern.  
That swatch that inspired me was a closed shell stitch and I made a baby blanket with it.  It wasn't the prettiest of pieces as I didn't know how important counting stitches was, it grew in some places and shrunk in others, but it was a jump off point.

I turned into a crochet friend.  I made afghans, toys, bags, dish cloths, anything to practice different stitches and reading patterns.  I finally was brave enough to try making clothes.  I made myself a few tops, some of it was as a pattern tester.  I took a class and made my eldest a hoodie.

I almost always have a project on my hook these days, usually 2 or 3.  It is my sanity.  I have made lots of things over the years, alot of them given as gifts and alot to various charities.   After the birth of my 2nd, I didn't get to crochet as much, a little bit here and there and then she got mobile and loved to play with my yarn.  She's 2 and a half now and she has phases where she's fascinated by my crochet and times when she takes my hook.  It's been challenging but I still find time to do a bit.

All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated. The Power of One is awesome, and when we work together The Power of One becomes The Power of Many.

4 comments:

  1. Nice story Kristi! It is amazing that you have a two and a half year old underfoot and are still able to crochet. You have more patience than I. But then crocheting can be so soothing can't it? Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. marj from minnesotaJune 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM

    I found your story so enjoyable Tristi.Crochet is luckily something that you can do, lay down for a while and pick back up and keep going or start all over again.I find myself doing both :+) We are a very diverse group, you have a 2 year old, I have a 17 year old granddaughter and my children are older then you. What fun! So many ideas and everyone working together for a common cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sherry and Marj for swinging by and glad you too enjoyed the story.

    I love how this helps us all get to know each other a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoyed your story Tristi. I find that your story has many of the same elements as mine. I also started to crochet while pregnant with my first child. I still have that first baby blanket! Even though there often has been years between times of knitting or crocheting I find it is like riding a bike and you never forget how!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?