Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pink Petuna "Welcomes YOU Home!"

Pink PetunaYou've probably read about our Welcome Home Project. Where Homeless Families through help are able to leave temporary housing and move into their more permanent housing. We, here at Bridge and Beyond, Welcome them Home with a gift of an afghan. Some are family afghans, some children directed and some are a combination there off. This ghan, Pink Petuna would be appropriate both in color and size for any girl -- from a youth to teenage.

I love the polka dots, I love the colors and I love that my friend and classmate, Connie donated yarn and partial finished squares to make this happen. You see it here, laying out in the works HERE... AND now being blocked after being laundered here in this post.........

Thank you Connie. Thank you for honoring our friend and fellow classmate Jack Otis with your donation during the month of November.

2011 Donations:

Scarves 420
Hats 914
Mittens 247
Socks 2322
Squares 567
Rain Ponchos 216
Cotton Washcloths 339
Sweaters/Poncho's 10
Slippers 100
Afghans 44+1=45 (2 sent to our friends at Pine Street)
Misc Items I've not counted misc items like all the personal care items, the neck warmers, head bands, shawl, hot packs, or yarn etc.

****Have you read all the updates in The People We Help? If not please do so HERE

December focuses on squares, remember squares should be made of washable yarn, all tails should be worked in as you go. Please don't leave tails when you change yarn. It truly slows down things at my end to tuck them in after the fact, and they tuck far better if you crochet or knit them in as you go. The only tail that should be visible is the very last one. Also, please please do not tie a knot and cut -- those squares always come undone and can't be used. Remember too, squares should measure no smaller then 7 inches and no larger then 10 inches. Avoid white. If you're squares don't fall into these guidelines, please contact me before mailing, thanks.

Can you believe this is post #573? WOW, only 27 post to hit the milestone of 600 POSTS!!!!

All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated, and all donations keep someone warm. We help, one stitch at a time. YOU truly DO make a difference. THANK YOU!

11 comments:

  1. Again I must compliment this ghan. I think it came out so well. Lovely job. Some lucky young lady will surely appreciate this. Regarding the tails, I was just reading at another effort to which I donate that they say to never sew in tails. They want them all dangling. Sometimes my brain gets fried trying to remember which place wants what. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like I saw that someplace too Sandie, but why I don't know. Working in tails after the fact is long boring work and not nearly as effective as doing it as you go. The only thing I can figure is, they don't trust people to do it right, so figure if they do it they know it's done? When I get squares with 4 or 5 tails each because they've not been worked in I lay them aside to use only if I really need that square. It's sooooooooo time consuming, and truly sewing them in afterwards never works as well from my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful afghan! I love the alternating circle and border colors! This turned out so great. Excellent work Sandy....as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy and Connie, you make a wonderful team! This ghan is truely, AWESOME! Some little young lady is going to be so happy with this lovely addition to her own space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya, Sandy. I hate sewing in tails myself, but there are some who really don't mind it. Everyone is different. I send saltines and yo yos to a lady who is like that. A real blessing to the crocheters like me but personally I would hate having to sew all those tails in. From experience, however, I know that improper care of the tails can cause holes and problems for the assembler. I have repaired many a square like this in the past. I guess it happened one too many times and these organizations decided it was more time efficient to leave the tails dangling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the ghan. Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely project! Many blessings to this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello all -- lovely afghan and wonderful work. Sandy, you must truly have flying fingers to finish all the projects you do. I'm just a turtle! Happy holidays and may the love and peace of the season bless you all. Sandie in FL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Jenn, Sally, SSeger, Jacquieline and batlfit for your visits and nice comments, surely do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Sandy, you have such an "eye" for combining lovely individual squares into works of art. Your ghans are always so beautifully cohesive - something that is really difficult to do given squares from different yarns and crafters. But in this case where your friend Connie was so thoughtful to provide consistency, you went ahead and tied those lovely squares together with your trademark love. You rock.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?