Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Friday, June 15, 2012

Why Sherry K. donates


About a week ago I posted about why I donate and asked you to share with us why you do. What motivates you. Though clearly we all the common denominator of wanting to help others, we do have some different internal reason that keep us all going. If you missed reading these inspiring stories, please take a minute and click to catch up. If you've not shared with us your inspiration, please send me an email and let me know.

**Sharing stories about why we donate:
My story Here
Wendy H tells here story HERE
Sandie P's story HERE
Diana K's story HERE
Sue F tells her story HERE

And now, you can read why our friend Sherry K. donates and gives of herself. Thank you Sherry. Glad to count you among us and glad to call you friend (and all the other good people here).

When I was about 7 years old my mother had a friend who lived across the street from us. She had 12 children and still had time to crochet. She was always making baby blankets and I loved to sit and watch her. So I believe it was her that gave me the desire to crochet and I have crocheted many blankets over the years. I even belonged to a group that made blankets for the elderly in nursing homes for a while. But at that point I didn't really think of that as giving to charity.

In 2007, I became very ill and could not work. Up to that point I was very busy raising my family and working 70 hours a week. I had let the crocheting go by the wayside even though I had boxes of yarn put away. Once I became ill my husband lost his job shortly thereafter. For a period of 8 months we didn't know how were were going to pay the rent or have food on the table. Every month we had a leave on 3 days notice on our door. Also, many times we stood in lines at the food pantries. It made me realize just how many people that were in the world with the basic needs for living. My husband got called back to work a year ago and shortly before that I was approved for disability so we are much better off.

This started a desire for me to help those less fortunate and the homeless are close to my heart. I know there are needy everywhere but I have a firm belief that you should help your own first. I checked online for charities and found Bridge and Beyond. I,ve sent in a couple of boxes but intend on sending much more. I met a friend through this charity who has led me to other charities as well, but Bridge and Beyond will always be my first choice to give to since it will help the homeless.

I am very limited in what I can do but crocheting and a little knitting I can do so I decided to use my skills and yarn to warm those in need.

**We so glad you were so inspired Sherry. I'm blown away thinking of the women with 12 children having time to do anything. She was obviously a very special woman. Sorry you were so ill, how wonderful to have you here with us.**

2012 Donations:
Hats:
398
Scarves: 247
Slippers: 79
Shawls: 2
Sweaters 3
Vest 1
Afghans: 22
Mittens: 147
Squares: 345
Socks: 116
Rain Poncho's 183
Cotton Washcloths 354
Misc Items are not counted individually (such as personal care items, headbands, gators, yarn, wrist warmers/fingerless gloves, facemasks, neck warmers, t-shirts, soap, deodorant, shampoo, toothbrushes etc)

The above picture isn't current, in that I've gotten further along on that afghan since I had time to get a photograph. It has a couple more stripes currently. It's knitted, feather and fan stitch. Currently, I have 2 thoughts regarding this afghan I'm working on. Initially, thought it would be donated; as all the others have been (from your squares etc) to The Homeless Families Foundation for the Welcome Home Project. Then thought/wondered if I might do more good by having a raffle for it and use the money from the raffle as a donation. I've changed the design of this ghan now several times....probably about to change it again. Am using up grey, I had in my stash (have less then I originally thought I had), using the tan (donated), and the multi-colored skeins (6 also donated). Seems it may be smaller then I anticipated based on the yarn amounts I have so....re-thinking again the design. It's sorta changes on the fly as I knit.

All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated, and all donations keep someone warm. We help, one stitch at a time. YOU truly DO make a difference. THANK YOU!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. What a touching story. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad things are going better for your family. But there are still so many who struggle. Sometimes thinking about all the need out there is overwhelming, but we can all help...one stitch at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing better Sherry. Good luck to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy--the idea for a raffle is a good one. You are the one who knows best what is needed.

    What is the pattern you are using for the afgan? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?