Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Baby Boy Blanket


This afghan was made in answer to a special request from our friend, Rae. Rae prepares and delivers hot meals on Sat. am to those living under the bridges (and various other places). She indicated there was an expectant couple. My heart sank. Being pregnant, living outdoors in the cold and the wet. Perhaps getting lucky enough to get a night here and there in a shelter. I truly can not fathom that. Despite my work on this blog, the information I've read, and the people I've been in contact with over these last several years; as we work together to help those in need.........truly, I can not imagine that.

I searched the squares on hand and began working immediately to get this afghan done for her so that she might deliver it as soon as possible. I know you all share my quest to make certain this little boy will be wrapped up in something warm, something made with love. These squares have been on hand for some time. I added several shades of browns and tans to make the sorta camo squares more masculine.

Join me please in wishing this couple all the very best. Rae informs me, there is someone aiding them in finding housing. I do hope that comes to pass, so they have a roof over their heads when they welcome in their Baby Boy. Keep them please in your thoughts and prayers.

This afghan isn't traditional, it's not blue, it's not made with super soft light weight baby yarn. It's made, as we do all of goods with washable knitted worsted weight yarn for added warm, and durability. It measures just over 41 x 41. I wanted it to be larger then the average baby blanket, so they might get some extra use out of it.

2012 Donations:
Hats:
132
Scarves: 56
Slippers: 28
Shawls: 2
Afghans: 9+1=10
Mittens: 106
Squares: 128
Socks: 98
Rain Poncho's 2
Cotton Washcloths 15
Misc Items are not counted individually (such as personal care items, headbands, gators, yarn, wrist warmers/fingerless gloves, facemasks etc)


All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated, and all donations keep someone warm. We help, one stitch at a time. YOU truly DO make a difference. THANK YOU!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my...what a heartbreaking situation. Bless you for doing what you can and for letting the rest of us know about it. Is there more we can do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blanket. Sure hope the couple can get into a house soon. I hate to think of a new baby living outside. Prayers go out to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That is truly mind blowing! A terrible situation, for sure. I know that a warm blanket made with love will truly mean alot to them. Perhaps, we could make more baby things for them, Sandy???

    ReplyDelete
  4. The afghan is beautiful and perfect for a baby boy! It breaks our hearts to know that there are babies whose families are having such a tough time. Tell Rae to let us know if there is more we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your sincere interest. Yesterday I learned they were successful in finding housing. I'm still working on the details to see what we might be able to offer in the way of help. Will keep you all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job as always Sandy...I was also so glad to hear that the couple were able to find housing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sending prayers for the family and will watch to see if they need more items. I have a baby girl blanket I finished if you know of anyone that needs it. Its super soft and really pretty. My daughter and I are going to be crocheting some items to send you. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, how closely this hits home for me! I was in a similar situation just a few months ago, but I was only "on the streets" for a few hours before finding a temporary living situation. I'm so glad to hear that this family was able to find a place to live. The blanket you made them is gorgeous and is sure to bring some comfort to them during a hard time in their life, and plenty of warmth to their new addition when he arrives. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is something about this baby boy blanket that speaks to me. It is so sweet. Blessings to the family and to you too!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?