Mission Statement

Operations for Bridge and Beyond will cease on Dec 31, 2021, last mailing date should be Dec 24th

GOAL FOR AFGHANS

Afghans
Goal: 30
Start: #24
Current: 26
0.8666%
START
END

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Crocheting with 12 Children

Still enjoying sharing our stories about how and when we learned to knit or crochet.  Please email your story, it's fun to see how we all started these crafts that have become such big part of our lives.  These skills/gifts given to us that share with the  with those less fortunate.  I believe our hearts and hands are guided down this path.  Please keep up the good work, One and All.

Love to post your story, please email at sandycrochet at gmail.com

Here's our good friend Sherry K's story, enjoy!

When I was about 7 or 8 my mother had a friend who had 12 children yet she had time to crochet baby afghans.  She was quick and it fascinated me.  I didn't actually pick up a needle until I was 19. I had lots of time on my hands because my first husband was a Marine and gone all the time.  I purchased a basic book to learn the basic stitches.  I didn't start small though. I went right to an afghan. I made afghans for everyone except myself of course.  Over the years I have made baby clothes, hats, scarves, and more but my real love is to make afghans. I recently made a knitted hat for my son and I have made a few knitted wash cloths but I still prefer crochet over knitting.
My story is quite simple but that is the way I roll.

 *I love how so many of us have a common thread, whether it's knitting or crocheting, so many of us used the craft to fill a void, and it truly does*
All donations regardless of size and number are valued. All donations are appreciated. The Power of One is awesome, and when we work together The Power of One becomes The Power of Many.

5 comments:

  1. GOOD STORY Sherry. The 12 children part fascinated me. Cant even imagine. I am sure the poor woman needed it for a release!!:+)I think alot of us learned to crochet for pretty much the same reason. It filled an empty spot whether for a sad reason or a happy one. As one of the ladies in my group keeps saying Happy Hookers, she enjoys that, but it is true, you are happy with a hook in your hand. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all these stories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just back from the Adirondacks where I have no Internet. I am trying. to catch up on all I missed. I am enjoying these stories ladies! I think the lady with 12 children needed to crochet in order to keep herself sane! As for 12 children.......better her than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue and Sally you're on the mark from my point of view as well..........poor women needed time to regroup and then some. Sally Welcome Back, hope you had an awesome trip.

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE leave your name and url, NOT a profile link, not a google or google plus. Only name and url will take me directly to your blog to return the favor of a comment.

Where are You and Your Yarn From?

I'm trying to identify where everyone is from, partially for fun. Take a look at the map. Also, believe it will aid me in cases where we have several people with the same name. Please look at the lists of bloggers and non bloggers and see if I have the state you hail from. If not, please leave a comment and let me know.

Additionally, we've had help from Scotland, England, Germany Puerto Rico, Canada, and France! They don't appear on the map, but their help is still greatly appreciated.

Where The People Who Donate Come From, is your state represented?